Open CWK File
File extension CWK is most commonly associated with a ClarisWorks document. Claris, the company behind ClarisWorks, was bought by Apple in 1998 and rebranded the suite as AppleWorks, which also used the CWK file format.
ClarisWorks is an integrated suite of office applications which was developed for use on the Macintosh and Windows platforms. ClarisWorks 1.0 first appeared on the Macintosh in 1991, with a Windows version released in 1993, and offered word processing, drawing, image editing, spreadsheet, database and terminal communication functionality. ClarisWorks used the CWK file extension, which could denote a document produced using any of these components.
Unlike other office suites, ClarisWorks was designed to integrate seamlessly, allowing the embedding of frames within other documents. This meant that drawings, spreadsheets or images could be embedded within a word processed document, for example. Claris, the company behind ClarisWorks, became part of Apple following release of version 5, and the software was subsequently rebranded as AppleWorks 5. Both AppleWorks 5 and AppleWorks 6, the last version to be released, maintained the proprietary CWK file format, though were able to export documents in other formats which were more widely supported, such as Microsoft's DOC or XLS formats. AppleWorks 6 also included support for presentations at the expense of the terminal communications functionality.
CWK files may contain anything from a word processed document or spreadsheet to a database or vector drawing. As CWK is a proprietary binary format, they cannot be inspected using a text editor and as such the only way to determine the contents of a file is to open it using ClarisWorks or AppleWorks depending on the version of the software it was originally created in.
CWK files can be properly opened using an appropriate version of either ClarisWorks or AppleWorks on either the Windows or Macintosh platform. However, AppleWorks was discontinued in 2007 and will no longer be sold or developed, rendering CWK as a legacy file format. CWK files can be opened using AppleWorks successor, iWork, though support is limited and formatting or embedded object data may be lost in the conversion process.
Rate this page: 5/5 based on 10 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
How to Open CWK file?
- To see if you have an application which support CWK file format you need to double click on the file.
- This will either open it with matching application or Windows will suggest you to look for an application for file extension CWK either on web or on local computer.
- If there is no application on your computer which can open CWK files you need to search on the internet which application can open CWK files.
For more general information about how to open CWK files, file extension cwk and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...